Friday, January 8, 2016

A "new" sauna scent

This summer I was shopping at Bergquist Import, a delightful store in Cloquet, Minnesota, chock-full of Northern European treats, Scandinavian and Finnish among them. Of course I loaded up. 

Among the products they featured were scents, and I found “cedar.”Why, you ask, am I interested in buying a scent for my löyly when I could just as easily use cedar boughs? 

It's not easy for me to find cedar. We only have Russian cypress and spruce in the yard, but they don't produce the kind of boughs I need (nor willow nor maple). I'd have to scavenge in the woods, but first I'd need to get permission to cut. 

When the sauna was new, I could smell the cedar (out of which it was built), every time I walked in the porch. But that's long gone. 

And a dear friend had given me a trio of citrus scents when she visited a German spa. But they, too, are long gone.

The bottle of scent is a treat—I not only smell it while I sauna, when sprinkling a few drops of the cedar scent in the dipper of water for the rocks, but it also scents the porch. I inhale that fresh tree aroma each time I walk past the sauna.

Back to Bergquist's, there were other scents I might have purchased. I plan to stock up next visit.

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment